Friday, August 16, 2013

All of the yummy...all of the restrictions...

So.
 
Two of our daughters have some intense dietary restrictions.
 
I have a few but nothing like they do.
 
No soy, no dairy, no gluten, no egg, no tree nuts.
 
Yeah.
 
That pretty much leaves dirt and broccoli.
 
Just kidding.
 
But almost.
 
It's hard to do good baked goods and treats.
 
Over time I've developed some great muffin and cookie recipes but they take approximately 50 ingredients each so I rarely share the recipes.
 
This morning I was heading over to visit our newest Grandlittle, Remi, and I wanted to take a treat along for his Mom.
 
I combined several recipes and ended up with this scrumptious, scrumptious berry crisp with only a few ingredients.
 
I thought I'd share it with you if you're living or cooking the dietary restricted life.


All the Good Stuff Berry Crisp Recipe
 
In a large bowl toss together:
 
5 cups of frozen or fresh berries (I used marionberries, wild blueberries and raspberries)
1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
1 tablespoon brown rice flour
1 tablespoon organic cane sugar
 
Divide evenly between two 8" casserole dishes
 
In a medium bowl combine:
 
1/2 cup packed organic brown sugar
1/2 cup organic cane sugar
4 tablespoons brown rice flour
4 tablespoons potato starch
1 cup crunched up GF cornflakes
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
 
Toss in 1/3 cup melted coconut oil until evenly crumbly.  (I'm pretty sure crumbly is a word)
 
Divide topping evenly over berries.
 
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes until juices are bubbling and topping is medium golden brown
 
Serve with DF, SF, EF coconut ice cream.
 
I am trying to hide my little casserole from Mr. Jenny.   He keeps trying to eat it.
 
It's annoying the heck out of me.
 
Seriously.
 
This is a yummy treat even for those without diet restrictions.
post signature

11 comments:

Ms. A said...

Sounds AND looks good!

Theresa said...

Well... I don't have any restrictions but would love some of that anyway:) LOOKS delicious! I know it was appreciated! POOR Mr. Jenny:( He needs something sweet:) Have a blessed weekend, HUGS!

Unknown said...

Ay caramba! I think I'm glad for plain old lactose intolerance, which can be managed with a pill.
Also, everyone should be careful to watch for Monosodium Glutamate in food. This stuff isn't good for anybody!
This dish looks good, regardless of dietary restrictions!

Simone said...

Jenny, my life has become a huge dietary restriction. I'm not even lying. Every week, I discover a new food allergy. So, like your daughters, no soy, no tree nuts, no milk, and tons of other stuff. I am in denial that I need to go gluten free too. I just can't imagine being stuck in a lot of "can't haves". The recipe sounds good though. Maybe I can get brave enough to go in search of those ingredients and give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I too cant eat gluten and most treats are just too much sugsr...this is wonderful Jenny.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This does look yummy, but you had me at 'berries'!!

Pat Tillett said...

The problem with "special diets" or even a voluntary vegan diet, is that it is SO DARN EXPENSIVE!

What do you think of this? If you are on a medically restricted diet. Shouldn't health insurance help pay for the difference in cost? Oh well, just a thought...

Amy said...

I have never heard of marionberries. I am intrigued. It looks and sounds incredibly delicious!
Hide it in the oven. Mr. Jenny will never think to look there!

Bookie said...

Sounds good. I know about restrictions in this house...although we cheat some! I make Chex Mix only I use only Rice squares (or rice and corn) and treat it just like it had all the other stuff. It makes a good gluten free snack that is break from popcorn.

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

It sounds and looks wonderful! :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

I am SO thankful that we have no restrictions around here...but let me tell you a few (all four) of us could USE some. :)
This looks pretty darn good....especially compared to dirt and broccoli! You are so nice to think of your peeps like this.
XO